Early civilizations attributed gemstones with magical properties and especially to their relationship with the signs of the zodiac. Over time, astrologers assigned gems of certain colors as bithstones to the twelve signs of the zodiac to help people influence the planets in their favor. Natural gemstone colors are ranked according to their rarity and value. Precious birthstones such as the diamond (April bithstone), emerald (May birthstone) and sapphire (September birthstone) are expensive and may not be in your budget for a birthday gift, so we have create twelve categories inspired by the color of the gemstone that represents each calendar month.
Colorless gemstones (diamond, white topaz) are transparent and colorless and are referred to as white in color.
- Blue stones (sapphire, aquamarine, turquoise) are hued by the presence of the element Boron which changes the conductivity of the gemstones.
- Red, Pink & Brown (garnet, ruby, topaz) colored stones are caused by crystal lattice defects during the formation of the gemstone.
- Purple coloration (amethyst) is caused by the presence of iron and/or manganese.
- Yellow stones are caused by the presence of the element Nitrogen which changes the conductivity of gemstones.
- Green colors (emerald, peridot) are caused by exposure to the natural radiation in the earth such as uranium ore.